A German “Good Luck” tradition – we could ALL use a little good luck! Enjoy a pretzel too!
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, or flour of choice
- ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon coffee
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2-4 teaspoons milk (enough to thin, if needed)
- Heat the milk, oil and brown sugar in a large pot just until the brown sugar has dissolved. You should be able to comfortably touch the side of the pot.
- While the wet ingredients heat up, measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Once the brown sugar has dissolved, sprinkle the yeast on and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the vanilla a and mix in the dry ingredients until combined. If the dough is too wet, you can stir in an additional 1-2 Tablespoons of flour, a tablespoon at a time.
- Cover and allow to rise for approximately 30 minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Coat it in enough flour so you can work with it and pull (rather than roll) into a long log. Transfer the log to the cookie sheet and form into a pretzel shape. Allow to rest for 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the pretzel until golden brown, around 20-25 minutes.
- While the pretzel cools slightly, mix the powdered sugar, maple syrup and coffee in a small bowl. Add the milk a teaspoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. Spread the glaze on the pretzel and immediately add sprinkles.
- Let sit for a few minutes before serving. Store leftovers loosely covered for up to 2 days at room temperature.
Yields: 8-12 Servings (nutritional information based on 12 servings)
- Calories 202
- Total Fat 4.8g
- Saturated Fat 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2.7g
- Cholesterol 0.4mg
- Sodium 167mg
- Potassium 78mg
- Carbohydrates 37.5g
- Fiber 0.8g
- Sugar 15.7g
- Protein 3.6g