Try these delicious hearty treats made with oats, apple butter and dried apple.
BASE AND STREUSEL TOPPING
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup apple butter
4 ounces dried apple
4 ounces dried cherries, raisins or other fruit
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Non-stick cooking spray
BASE AND STREUSEL TOPPING:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom of an 8-inch baking pan non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the flour, oats, sugars, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse 6 times about 3 seconds per pulse until some of the oatmeal is finely chopped and some are still large and whole.
- Drizzle in the melted butter, toss with a fork and then pulse until the mixture comes together, about 8 times
- Press two-thirds of the oat mixture into the prepared pan. Squeeze spoonfuls of the remaining mixture in your palm to make chunks, some large, some smaller, and place in a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate both the base and the chunks for 30 minutes.
- Place the apple butter, dried fruit, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons water in the cleaned bowl of the food processor and pulse to a chunky paste. Spread the filling over the chilled base. Scatter the streusel topping over the filling, leaving some of the filling showing through.
- Bake until the streusel is toasty and crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Cool completely (about 2 hours) on a rack before slicing into 16 squares.
Yields: 16 squares
Total Fat 7.5g
Saturated Fat 4.4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.1g