Low fat, low sodium but packed with flavor! Try out this delicious and colorful recipe and let us know what you think.
5 bell peppers, mixed colors if desired
Olive oil spray
1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon chili powder
20 oz. package ground turkey
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 (12-16 oz.) jar pico di gallo or salsa
2 cups fresh baby spinach, rinsed and chopped
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the ribs along with the seeds and stems.
- Spray baking dish with olive oil spray and arrange peppers in the dish.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with the olive oil spray.
- Sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until it starts to brown. If the onions and garlic start to stick, add a splash of water to deglaze the pan.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan, cooking until lightly browned and breaking it up as it cooks. Stir in the black pepper, chili powder and coriander.
- Add the salsa, quinoa and rice, heat through. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped spinach.
- Pack the turkey mixture into the pepper halves so that it’s heaping, about a cup each. Sprinkle the tops with the cheddar cheese and bake about 40 minutes or until the peppers are tender. Serve immediately.
Yields: 10 servings
Total Fat 6.5g
Saturated Fat 2.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g